What we do for Providers

The Provider Services Staff at Child Care Connections provides direct services to family and group child care providers, child care centers, Legally Certified Providers (LCPs) and Legally Certified In-Home Providers (LCIs).  We are committed to high quality child care and strive to meet the needs of all child care providers by offering the following individualized services:

-Professional development opportunities

-Onsite training and coaching

-Technical assistance

-Child Nutrition Program (CACFP)

-Special Needs Subsidy program

-Assistance to new and prospective family/group child care providers

-Ongoing support for participants in the Best Beginnings STARS to Quality program


How to Become a Child Care Provider

Child Care Connections offers assistance to individuals who are interested in becoming registered or licensed with the State of Montana to care for children.

In Montana, you can care for up to two unrelated children or all of the children from one family without being registered or licensed. If you plan to care for three or more children, you must be registered or licensed. There are three categories of regulated child care in Montana: family child care, group child care, and child care centers. For more information click here. Or learn more about current licensing rules here.

  1. Family Child Care Homes – Typically practiced in a home. One caregiver can care for 6 children. Only three of these children may be under the age of two.
  2. Group Child Care Home – These programs can serve up to 12 children at any given time with two caregivers. A group home can have no more than 6 children under the age of two.
  3. Child Care Center – Centers are licensed for more than 12 children. For infants, they must maintain a ratio of 1 caregiver to 4 infants. Centers go through a more intense and lengthy licensing process.
Family and Group homes are registered. Child Care Centers are licensed.

How to Start a Family or Group Home

  1. Call Child Care Connections to attend a one-hour pre-orientation informational meeting. (Optional)
  2. Submit paperwork to Child Care Licensing for review.
  3. Complete orientation flowchart.
  4. Upon receiving registration, you’re ready to open your program!

How to Start a Child Care Center

  1. Call Kirsten (Bozeman) with Child Care Licensing at (406)522-2271 or Anna Haire and Gloria Tatchell 406-444-1954 (Helena) to obtain start-up information and paperwork.
  2. Call Child Care Connections for support and training.

For Complete licensing information please visit: www.childcare.mt.gov

Legally Certified Provider/ Family Friends & Neighbors

All paperwork for the Best Beginnings Family Friends and Neighbors Program, formerly Legally Unregistered Provider (LUP), will be processed by a centralized agency, the Quality Assurance Division. For an application please click here. If you would like to request a packet please contact Teresa Enger at 406-444-0597. Click here for orientation requirements.

For more information on becoming a child care provider contact Tammy Christofferson (Bozeman) 587-7786 ext. 111 or Brandi Thomas (Helena) 587-7786 ext. 150.

Fingerprinting is now available at CCC in Helena and Bozeman!